South Korean tech giant Samsung unveiled its new Galaxy A series on Tuesday as “Galaxy A8” (2018) and “Galaxy A8+” (2018) that will be available in early January, with pricing and availability to vary by markets worldwide. “Samsung’s ‘Infinity Display’ finally trickles down to a mid-range handset after being exclusive to its flagship smartphones this year. These handsets also feature Samsung’s first dual front camera with ‘Live Focus’,” tech website Sam Mobile reported.
Samsung “Galaxy A8” and “Galaxy A8+” also feature many flagship-like features. Both the handsets have ditched the physical home button and the fingerprint sensor has been re-positioned at the rear below the camera module, the report added.
Other features include support for “Samsung Pay” — a mobile payment and digital wallet service (with MST), IP68 water-proofing, dust resistance and fast-charging with USB Type-C.
Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) at a glance
- Body: Aluminum frame, glass front and back; IP68 rating for dust and water resistance.
- Display: 5.6″ Super AMOLED display, FullHD+ 2,220×1,080 resolution Infinity display (18.5:9 aspect ratio), 441ppi pixel density; Always On Display.
- Rear camera: 16MP, f/1.7 aperture. Phase detection autofocus. 1080p/30fps video recording.
- Front cameras: Primary: 16MP, f/1.9 aperture. Secondary: 8MP, f/1.9 aperture. Fixed focus. Selective focus (portrait mode). 1080p/30fps video recording.
- OS/Software: Android 7.1.1 Nougat; Samsung Experience 8.5 custom overlay.
- Chipset: Exynos 7885: octa-core CPU (2×2.2GHz Cortex-A73 + 6×1.6GHz Cortex-A53), Mali-G71 GPU.
- Memory: 4GB of RAM; 32/64GB storage; dedicated microSD slot for expansion.
- Battery: 3,000 mAh Li-Po (sealed); fast charging.
- Connectivity: Dual SIM; LTE Cat. 11 (600Mbps download); USB-C (v2.0); Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; GPS, GLONASS, Beidou; NFC, MST; Bluetooth 5.
- Misc: Rear-mounted fingerprint reader (centered, hurrah!); single speaker on the side; 3.5mm jack; Samsung Pay support; Gear VR support.